Monday, October 4, 2021

In times of the Pandemic

 


Oh, it hurt to tell her Dad the news, but there were no exceptions this time. Angel knew what she had to do because it was too late to change anything now.

She was moving in with Jared.

"Jared?" Of course, it was news to him. He was off being someone's hero if he wasn't at that bar of his, trying to get things back to normal. "What do you mean?"

Angel wasn't sure he could stand to hear the news without tearing something up. Honestly, she didn't really know him, other than he was set in his ways in spite of being a generous man.

"I love Jared and he loves me..."

"When did that happen?" He was flabergasted to the point of being in a state of shock. His dark eyes kept staring at her as if it were unthinkable. It was as if he'd wanted her to marry a prince or something.

She only laughed.

"Oh, well..we did a lot of things when you weren't here." She kept smiling. "I'm tired of playing hide and seek." After all, she was four months pregnant now. She'd be showing any day. "You're gonna be a grandpa."

It was a thrill to laugh about it now, but then she said. "Don't be upset. I can take care of myself."

But she knew he was sad. He talked of how wrong he'd been most of his life. "I..I hadn't meant to lose you, you know, those years you..you were with your mother's family. I..I just knew.."

Tears came to her eyes. It felt like ancient history now. 

"Look, we're together now. I'll just be next door." She put her arms around him. This was a time to rejoice. Not to be in pain.

4 comments:

  1. Next door should make it easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She loves Jared and he loves her too, also they will have a baby at near future. And they become a cute family. I am sure they will be happy. Because they live together (next door not far a way). So may i know what does her dad's think about it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Conmovedor momento te mando un beso

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that this had a happy ending and didn't get all "papa don't preach." (I just caught that Friends episode where Phoebe says something like that to Rachel when she's afraid to tell her dad that she's pregnant, and it stuck :). You wrote a terrific description of Angel's dad, so concise, yet saying it all: "He was off being someone's hero if he wasn't at that bar of his, trying to get things back to normal." It establishes the distance -- and hurt feelings -- between Angel and her father, setting us up for their unexpected reunion. Nice!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for visiting.