Friday, December 11, 2020

It's the most beautiful time of the year

 Sal couldn't believe his eyes. He smiled as soon as he saw Angel in the kitchen making coffee. Sal hugged her. She fell into his embrace like she always did. Suddenly, she was all of four to him, but his daughter was now a grownup.

"When did you get here?" He asked, wondering why he hadn't heard a thing last night.

"Early morning," she told him and brought him a cup of coffee.

"It's so good to see you," Sal kept smiling, even if she looked a little tired as if she might need to go back to bed. 

Meanwhile, he would cook for her. He'd make all her favorites.

"Are you up for some waffles?" He didn't drink his coffee long he went to get out the waffle iron to warm and got out the eggs and bacon.

"Oh, Dad, you really shouldn't," she grinned with a shrug. 

"I know you've missed them as much as I have," Sal said he never made waffles unless she was here. Of course, he took a quick look around and didn't see a sign of Jared anywhere.

He wasn't quite sure he was ready to explain the roommate. Sal took his time getting the bacon on and whipping up the waffle batter which he knew by memory.

"Dad, is there anything you can't cook?" Angel asked as she watched from the kitchen bar sipping her coffee.

"I am not the best baker," he told her. "I leave that for you. I've missed your chocolate chip cookies."

"Well, I'll have to take care of that," Angel promised. "I'll get right on it." She talked of having a vacation. 

"I doubt you know what one of those are," He looked back at her thinking he wished she could take a cruise, but that was out of the question.

"It's about time, don't you think?" She looked at him as if he needed to agree with her.

"I guess," he nodded and went back to breakfast on the stove. He was making her sunny side eggs and bacon along with a couple of waffles. "How have you been?"

"It's..it has had..it's moments." She looked down at her coffee and pressed her lips tight. 

He thought she looked too thin. She was still so hard to read. He always thought she was happy growing up, but he wasn't certain of it. He knew they did have happy times, but maybe not enough of them.

"Wish we could go to New York City," he said handing the platter of food to her. He got the butter and syrup from the fridge.

"New York City?" She laughed.

"Yes, the perfect place for Christmas." He smiled back as if he really wanted to make it happen.

"Oh, Dad, there is a pandemic you know," she shrugged. "It might be different this year."

"Perhaps," Sal sighed and poured himself another cup of coffee. He'd made himself fried eggs and toast. "But..if we could, I wish we could travel." They'd never really traveled. There were only visits like this.

"I just..I just want to stay here..." She looked at him from across the kitchen bar. "With you."

"An old guy like me?" He chuckled.

"You're not that old," she made him feel that his laughter was addictive.

"Oh, but I feel so old, Angel."

"Well, I guess I'll find out if it's true or not," Angel pursed her lips. "I'm staying."

"And you'll get tired of me quick," he laughed, thinking what in the world was he going to do with Jared.

8 comments:

  1. Acho que serei a primeira a comentar!
    Muito bonito o encontro de pai e filha, o natal deveria durar o ano todo!Beijos nas bochechas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hermoso dialogo, se siente navidad e n el aire. Genial capítulo te mando un beso

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Beautiful dialogue, you feel Christmas and n the air. Great chapter I send you a kiss"

      Thanks so much!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful chapter. Nice to see how Angel and her dad Sal are kind to each other.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for visiting.