Thursday, December 17, 2020

oh, why not

 When Jody got the call from her mom about the arrival of Sal's daughter, Jody only laughed. What was her mother expecting her to do?

"You could show her around," her mom said. "I don't even know where she's from. Actually, I haven't met her but your brother said she was at Sal's."

"Oh," Jody nodded. Actually, these days she had fewer hours at the office. She knew she was supposed to stay in. Andrew would want her to stay home, but she liked to have something to do. "I'll be right over." 

She had some snacks she needed to get rid of. Too many carbs were in the apartment at the moment and she'd bust out of that wedding dress before she ever found one at this rate. If Angel didn't eat it, Jared would. That guy never gained an ounce. So she left Andrew all to his lonesome on the computer. She doubted he even knew she was gone.

"Well, Christmas is coming," Jody said soon enough when she got to Sal's. "I hear you have a guest."

She'd gotten soaps, shampoos, and body lotion at the drug store, all for Angel.

"It looks like Christmas is here," he smiled back and let her in, but then asked how did her mother know.

"I don't know, she just called me," Jody shrugged and found Sal's daughter in the kitchen drying dishes. She introduced herself and told both of them that her mom wanted her to show Angel around town.

"She just got here," Sal said as if she must be tired.

"Well, if not today, maybe sometime soon," Jody smiled as she got out the tin of pretzels she'd dipped in melted chocolate chips that Andrew snarled his nose up and shooed away when she had them at home. She'd worked so hard on the treat and he told her never to make those again.

"You are right, I really don't know this town," Angel told her. She took a bite of the dipped pretzels with red, white, and green sprinkles included.

"You made these?" She crunched on a mouthful and told her they were delicious.

"My boyfriend...I mean..my fiance doesn't like for me to make stuff like this, but I have some time off and didn't want to waste all my pretzels with cheese dip." Jody shrugged.

"That sounds good too." Her smile was open and Jody was happy to meet someone who might as well be family.

12 comments:

I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for visiting.