Saturday, December 4, 2010

wow

The new young adult librian at the old library where Nick used to work was really making Nick grin. They were having their little meeting at a diner near the library.

"And you had absolutely nothing to work with." Asa still had to put in a little bit more how much Nick had done at his library.

"Stop," Nick laughed. "Its a small library."

'This is a small library." Asa shrugged. He'd shown Nick all his book clubs he'd chosen and some of the movies he's be presenting. He questioned Nick about his group he worked with.

"I still can't believe you're back." Nick looked at him. Asa didn't look all that much different from the last time he'd seen him. He was small but that never stopped Asa from getting anything done.

"Me, either, actually." Asa sighed. "I want to say its a vacation, but its really not. I think I want to be here for good now. And, and I can't believe how lucky I got, to get this."

"Yeah, I know what you mean." Nick understood jobs like theirs were hard to come by, but it made him want to be that much better for those kids who wanted to be part of the library. Show them opportunities they might not know about. "But you know, how's everything else?"

"Its just me." He then mentioned his cousin Elliot and how he was staying at Elliot's old place. "It might be freedom if I didn't have to put up with his parents."

"I guess you've met Amanda then." That was Elliot's wife.

"Yeah," he grinned. "And Rosie." He laughed. "She's three going on twenty-three. I had no idea kids that age talked that way."

"I haven't seen Amanda's little girl in ages." They talked about his cousin's family for awhile. And then Asa looked at the wedding band on Nick's finger.

"What is this?" Asa gave Nick a stunned look. "Are you kidding me? You? You're married?"

"Yeah." Nick felt as if reality had caught up with him suddenly. Heath. How he wished he'd somehow smoothed things over this morning with him, but he wasn't sure how, but to let this run its course. "He's a ..pretty special guy."

"A guy?" Asa looked at him, shocked. He held in a laugh. "I had no idea."

Nick felt sure Asa would give him a hard time. After all, Asa was a missionary, wasn't he?

"Wow, Iowa, right?" Asa questioned.

Nick just nodded.

"Wow." Asa kept smiling.

Nick guessed that was all Asa could think of to say.

5 comments:

meg said...

hhaha..that would be an interesting situation to tell an old friend about your husband.

natalie said...

Yeah, they definitely do have quite a lot to catch up on, haha! Asa sounds like a cool guy though

simon and josh said...

Interesting reaction.

the Oaks said...

I wonder what kind of friendship this might be???

Jasper Hale fan fic said...

I'm hoping Nick has someone to confide in.