Friday, September 24, 2010

where the wind blows

"What are trying to prove?" Heath didn't understand Jack. This was just crazy. Jack was the last person he  he expected with Kelsey. He'd heard the news from Rex. Still didn't seem possible. But he was alone now with Jack out in the hallway. Nick had gone in to see the baby and Rex in Kelsey's hospital room.

"What? You want them to arrest me or something?" Jack just gave him a sly smile.

"You're gonna wake up, some day, and know its a mistake. A big mistake." Heath leaned there against the wall next to Jack who just gave him a shrug.

"I'm not trying to be hero." He shook his head. "I'm not. Its just. I didn't want to be alone. She didn't want to be alone. I dunno. Can't be the worst mistake I ever made, can it?" His eyes met Heath's then.

"What kind of lies did you tell her?" Heath wanted to know.

"I didn't." He looked away then. "Look, I might not be right for anybody." His voice was low. "And maybe I'll never be fixed, but at least its enough. OK. Its enough." He sniffed slightly and walked away. But Heath followed.

"You're just gonna leave out the part of you and me, aren't you? You're not gonna tell her, are you?" He pulled Jack toward him.

Jack wiped his wet nose with the sleeve of his plaid shirt. He almost laughed as he looked back at Heath.

"You know what that was? We had. It wasn't love." He shook his head. "It was me having power over you. That's not the way love works." He bit his upper lip. "And I know its my fault. Its all my fault. And for the longest time, I couldn't help it. I didn't want to, even."  He rubbed his eyes full of tears. "I'm sorry. I am. And I'm tired. I'm so tired of being that person. If I can have a home to come home to like anybody else, that's all I'm asking. That's all I'm asking."

Heath backed away. He looked at Jack. He didn't know what to say. No more words were spoken even if he wished Jack would tell him everything. He knew Jack wouldn't. He knew Jack didn't have too.

3 comments:

meg said...

I liked what Heath said to him. But I gotta wonder about Jack. He's very complicated.

ivy's closet said...

intense moment.

natalie said...

oh man, this is some complex stuff they've got going on here... definitely a tough conversation to have