Sunday, September 26, 2010

name within a name

"You thought of a name yet?" Jack finally popped in after everyone left. It was just Kelsey and the baby now.

"No." She looked at the baby that everyone told her was the perfect size. He was a little over six pounds. She was never sure what they were trying to get at. Her Mom said he was too small, but the nurses told her not to worry. He was asleep in her arms in his little blue hat. He was so alive and she was getting used to the weight of him. It was as if he was just trying out her arms at the moment. "Rex said I could name him, that he'd be OK with anything I liked."

Jack nodded. "Sounds like it should be easy then. Its up to you." She wasn't smiling though.

"I only could think of girl names." She looked sad about it. "He was suppose to be a Hannah."

"I dunno what to tell you. Just think of a name that makes you smile. You know, so you'll be smiling before you say his name in the morning or when you tuck him in at night." Jack hugged himself.

"I can't think of anything." She shook her head. "Can you?"

"I really shouldn't." He shook his head.

"I'm so tired, I can't even think of my own name." She looked at him miserably.

"OK, which one sounds good to you? Rain, River, Gage, Owen, Logan or Liam." Jack rattled off.

"I dunno. Which one goes best with Grady?" She asked.

"Owen?" He guessed.

"Owen." Kelsey smiled then. "Owen." She liked it.

6 comments:

ivy said...

wow, that was sweet. everyone needs an Owen..right?

simon and josh said...

I gotta love Jack!

natalie said...

baby Owen! I like it! :)

Panda! said...

I love the lst sentence.

lucy and sarah said...

I like that about the name making you smile.

Laura Tenshi said...

I liked the name Logan better :) Oh, you thought I cut my hair? No way, I've waited 3 year for it to grow that long so I won't make any changes soon.