Friday, September 10, 2010

last chance

"What didn't we do this summer?" Nick looked back at Heath on the trail they were taking for a little hiking expedition. It wasn't mountain climbing, but Nick definitely felt out of shape.

"Camping. Fishing. I guess." Heath shrugged.

"You know, how we were gonna have everyone over. Olivia, Ravi, even Kyle and Amber. And Ellie. Everyone, for dinner." Nick was still hoping it would happen. "Weren't you going to invite that teacher you worked with, what was her name?"

"Maria?"  Heath had the fishing rod cases. He wanted to do a little fly fishing.

"I wonder what she's doing this summer." Nick wondered if Heath knew.

"You know, I don't like to talk about her." Heath gave him a stare.

"Sorry." Nick kept up the trail. Hopefully the lake would be around the bend. "You don't think she's still in love with you, do you?"

"God, no. Please, I'd rather enjoy the essence of our surroundings than bringing up a very bad memory." Heath tensed.

"Is that why you only gave her the house phone number and not your cell number?" Nick questioned as he walked backwards then.

"I dunno. Maybe. I-I just like only having your number in my cell so I can only talk to you. I don't like giving out my cell number." Heath winced.

"OK. Of course." Nick tugged at his back pack. "I hope we eat soon." He was carrying lunch. They'd bought a loaf of French bread and sausage and cheese and some fruit. It would go good with the imported beer. Not that they planned on getting intoxicated. Just, Nick would rather be swimming than fishing.

Nick saw the lake first. So tranquil and at peace. There was no one but the two of them to disturb the creatures beneath the water. Nick put down the back pack. A grin came to his face. First the T-shirt went and the rest came off piece by piece. He went for the water.

"I'm never gonna get a fish now." Heath yelled.

"That's kind of the point." Nick called back as he splashed in water. "Come on in, its perfect." Nick watched Heath undress. Now they were doing something he'd wanted to do all summer. Skinny-dipping.

5 comments:

Laura Tenshi said...

looks like Maria had a crush on Heath, better keep her away from him. Skinny dipping, probably the best activity during summer break.

lucy and sarah said...

I think they are having some fun.

ori said...

looks like they are having a blast!

so jade said...

good to see them having fun.

Holly said...

They are so darn cute.