Friday, August 6, 2010

a phone call might help

Kelsey didn't want to be left alone. She was still trying to figure out who Grady exactly was. She hated to ask Jack if Grady was his kid. She guessed Jack was trying to get his life back after a divorce or something. She had ridden with him to  Grady's home. She would have stayed at the new place out in the country, but he still thought it needed to air out.

So they were at the old place. He'd put clean sheets on the bed since he had no idea the last time they were washed.

"But I could sleep on the couch." She told him.

"Na, that's where I sleep." He told her. "You can take Kim's bed."

"Who's Kim?" She winced wondering if this person would show up when she was fast asleep.

"Grady's Mom. She's in Vegas. I don't think she's coming home, anytime soon, so don't worry." He told her as he was getting the sheets on the queen sized bed. She looked around the bedroom as she helped him. It was better than she expected. Hardly anything was in it. Even the compact closet was practically empty. But he found her some clean clothes. He kept digging until he found some maternity clothes. She just gave them a disgusting look.

"Maybe if you wash up. You'll feel better and then you'll call someone. At least let them know where you are." He left her alone then to go make some supper.

She guessed he was right. Her mom might call out the Calvary, if she didn't.

"Mom." She just said as if she couldn't think anything else to say. She didn't want to argue because that's all they were doing these days. Her Mom still made her feel that she was going to leave the baby for her to take care of which was the main reason she didn't want to go home.

"WHY AREN'T YOU HOME?" Her mother yelled.

"I-I met this friend of mine, and well, you know, we got to talking. Uh, she said I could spend the night, you know, its been so long since we've talked." Kelsey said the first thing that popped into her mind.

"Did you go to Ellie's?" Her mother asked.

"Yeah." Kelsey smiled. She loved it when her Mom filled in the blanks. "I'll be home soon. Promise." Her heartbeat started to thump in her ears with excitement. Soon enough she direct dialed Ellie.

"Hi." Kelsey wasn't sure how to explain this.

"How are you?" Ellie wanted to know.

"Good." Kelsey hoped she sound cheerful enough. "Listen, uh, if my Mom should call, could-could you tell her I'm at your place." Kelsey squinted hard.

"Why?" Ellie wanted to know.

"Why? Oh, well, um, I've met someone. I met him online." She shook her head as if that was a horrible answer now.

"WHERE ARE YOU!"

"I'm fine. I'm in Sioux City." Another lie.

"What are you doing?" Ellie was worse than her mother.

"Nothing." Kelsey winced again. "Its nothing like you think, OK. I just had to get away. All right."

"OK." Ellie didn't sound too alarmed now.

"Just tell her, if she calls, that I'm staying with you." Kelsey sighed. "Can you do that for me?"

"I guess so." Ellie then said. "But-"

"Look, I'll call you tomorrow. I will." Kelsey promised.

"All right."

"Thanks." Kelsey hung up then. She hoped she'd covered all the basis now. She so needed to get away from everything and just think what to do next.

10 comments:

lucy and sarah said...

oh ..no should she be doing this???

ori said...

I wonder what her plan is?

meg said...

Kelsey needs to go home.

ivy said...

She is a bit scheming.

natalie said...

Oh my, this all sounds a bit risky! i hope she knows what she's doing...

mazzy said...

Can't wait for the next one!

cass and cady said...

sounds like trouble.

A Way To Describe Me With No Words.... said...

Kelsey doesn't seem to want people to think something is up, yet she acts like something is.

lucy and sarah said...

very interesting happenings.

Katie said...

hope shes ok!