Friday, July 16, 2010

a possibility

"You're gonna do it?" Nick looked at Jack as if he were out of his element. Jack came into the library with Grady. Nick wasn't sure why they were there.

"I don't want to, but I hate to see him go into Foster Care, you know." Jack looked a little sad while Grady hung on to his leg.

"He's not going into Foster Care." Jack's Dad came around the counter and gave Grady a sucker.

"Dad! Don't!" Jack told him.

"What? A little candy never hurt anyone." He told him.

"What about my dental bill?" Jack faked a smile. "Now I know why. You and that candy jar of yours." He shook his head. "See why I can't live with him?" He told Nick then.

"What are you going to do?" Nick looked at Jack.

"Stay at Kim's til she comes home. I guess?" Jack shrugged.

"No, I don't think so." Jack's dad shook his head. "Its the worst trailer court, period. And Grady deserves better."

"Dad. Its just temporary." Jack looked at him.

"But you still need a job." His Dad told him. "There's an opening at City."

"Oh really? What? Like the mayor?" Jack gave him a glare.

"No, parks and recreation. You'd be on the river, a lot." His dad talked about the job for a bit. How he'd be more or less over seeing the park. He'd get his own golf cart.

Jack just shook his head in disbelief. Nick gave him a pat on the back. Looked like things were changing.

4 comments:

A Way To Describe Me With No Words.... said...

Yay finally the first to comment! Though I hope things come around for Jack. Maybe he should try taking the job, but you never know when it comes to his dad.

ivy said...

aw, I love that he's getting a fresh start even with a kid.

meg said...

wow.

ori said...

Lots of changes!