Saturday, June 5, 2010

accepting the consequence

Jack was a bit nervous. He didn't want to look Heath in the eye, and yet he did. He wanted to look at all of him. He wanted to just sit and stare, but he could hardly do that. This was uncomfortable because he knew he was making Heath uncomfortable, and Jack didn't want that. He hoped the puppy would help.

"So you have to name it." Jack told him while Heath went to get coffee. "You have to think of a really good name, you know."

The puppy was under Heath's feet in the kitchen but he managed to bring them both a cup of coffee.

"Well, I kind of hadn't expected to name it." Heath shrugged.

"I think he looks like a Doctor." Jack smiled.

"What?"

"Yeah, he can fix what ever might ail you with that wag of his." Jack stirred some sugar in his coffee.

"Doctor?" Heath sat down and let the pup crawl up in his lap.

"Yeah, Doc, for short." Jack nodded.

"Are you sure this isn't your dog?" Heath looked at Jack then.

"I swear. I have a hunting dog, already." Jack shrugged.

"A hunting dog?"

"A bird dog." He nodded. "Well, OK, I did have a dog named Doctor, years ago. And I could of, should have left him with these friends who had a little girl, who thought the world of him. But no, I had to take him on a javelina hunt with me down in Texas." Jack stirred his coffee once more and watched it swirl. He winced then, feeling a little teary, but he wouldn't dare let himself. "He was a black lab too. Smart. Everybody loved him." He felt a lump in his throat that would barely let him breathe. "Anyway, he was a really good dog until he got into it with a hog, well, he didn't make it. It was bad. I haven't gone on a hunt, like that sense."

"Well, you're the one who should take him." Heath told him.

"No, I have dog. I don't need a dog. You do." Jack told him.

"I don't think that's gonna be enough for Nick." Heath then said.

"What do you mean?" Jack finally took a sip of coffee.

"His brother is having a kid with someone, and I don't guess either one of them want it." Heath told him.

"Nick would do that? He really wants to be Dad, doesn't he?" Jack watched the dog in Heath's lap.

"Evidently." Heath nodded.

Jack got the distinct impression that Heath didn't want to start a family.

"Maybe Doctor will change your mind." Jack decided to leave it at that. No need to look at the past, and the future was just one step at a time. Nobody really knew just where it was going, anyway.

2 comments:

cass and cady said...

that was sad about his dog.

natalie said...

Aww, Jack's poor dog! That would be so sad :/