Saturday, May 22, 2010

a little faith

"Oh my God, you are packed. You can't wait to get out of here, can you?" Maria looked at all the boxes that Heath was loading up.

"Yeap." It was as if he'd gotten a burst of energy. When that bell rang tomorrow, he was out of here.

"You know, they have something planned for you, don't you?" Maria walked around the almost empty apartment.

"What?" Heath cringed at the thought.

"No one wants to see you go." She told him.

"Well, I-I don't know what to say." Heath was in shocked. He'd felt miserable what seemed for ever these last few days. All he could do was get late assignments graded, and have them read up on their religious studies so they could have a game of Jeopardy. He'd kept pushing videos to watch, as well. But everyone wanted a prize and well, he'd given most of the stuff away that he'd accumulated in his room.

As it was, there was no word about anything in Iowa yet. Most teachers had signed on another year. Including Maria.

"Just be there, after school." She smiled.

"How long will it take?" Heath tried to smile, but he wanted to be on the road.

"I'm going to miss you so much." She told him, giving him a hug.

"What are you going to do this summer?" Heath asked.

"I guess I'll visit my sister." She didn't sound too excited about it.

"Well, I'll let you know when we find a place. You could always come and see us." Heath told her.

"I'll think about it." She shook her head. "But you'll probably be busy."

"What if I don't find a job?" This dread was sinking in.

"Look, if Father Keegan has anything to do with it, he'll find you one. He will," she said. "You just have to have a little faith."

Heath just smiled. He guessed she was right, but he couldn't help but worry a little.

4 comments:

meg said...

wow..he is moving.

the oaks said...

I'm glad that he's getting ready.

Holly said...

that must be a hard time for him.

he and him said...

He has to know, he will be missed.