Thursday, April 22, 2010

not so alone

"So how are you feeling now?" Maria brought Heath food. This time it was comfort food. Roast beef and mashed potatoes.

"Just peachy." Heath made an effort to smile.

"I've been thinking about what you said." She sat the meal in the fridge. He was grading papers at this desk, but he stopped what he was doing when she said that. He felt like holding his breath, but he guessed it didn't matter. What happens. Happens. He'd decide.

"Seriously, you don't have to dwell on it." He watched her in the kitchen then and leaned against the doorway with his hands in the front pockets of his khakis.

"I'm not going to tell anyone. Its none of their business. And if they make you feel you've done the ultimate sin, it-" She sighed then as she hugged herself. "Look, what you did is, is what everyone wants, one time or another." She didn't smile then. "Look, I've done something to. And they'd be harder on me, if they knew."

"Oh."

She winced then as if it would take a lot out of her to say anything else.

"I had an abortion last summer." She sighed.

Heath just looked at her not sure what to say. But he knew what she needed. A hug. Just a hug. He thought of all the times then how she'd had to listen to teachers in the breakroom or you could hear it anywhere there about how wrong abortion was. Naturally, he could have asked why she'd chosen this school. He knew she didn't like being here anymore than he did.

"Lets just say we'll both find better jobs." He shrugged then.

Maria tried to smile.

"I probably won't be going anywhere." She told him. "I'm lucky I got this job. According to my parents."

"You should really have the show choir." Heath nodded.

"Like that's gonna happen." She smiled then.

"You never know." Heath had to believe the future was going to be better.

9 comments:

natalie said...

Oh, my. That must have been so hard for Maria to tell him. I think Heath had the right idea with the hug, cause in some cases I guess words just don't always cut it :/

fan fic said...

wow, she does need friends.

lily said...

I'm glad maria told him.

Benazir, 16 said...

Aww :) I'm liking where this is going...

Also, I've seen the first episode of Victorious. Living in the UK has major downsides. I watched it online and lately haven't had time to catch up! I love Victoria Justice, but no sure about her character, Tori. Jade (liz gillies) is awesome though. I love her. She's extremely talented and yes, she does remind me of Effy :)

Also, Avan was BEYOND hot :P

meg said...

I'm glad they can talk and she's on Heath's side.

Cait said...

wow, maria had a lot of guts to tell him. she probably feels better about sharing it with someone too.

a jacob's tale said...

I like that she confided in him.

simon n josh said...

wow, that is heavy.

A Way To Describe Me With No Words.... said...

wow thats harsh i guess he was right with the hug.