Saturday, April 10, 2010

living on a prayer

"How could you?" Nick wasn't sure he'd heard Heath correctly when he called him a few days later. "You told Maria? About us?" He felt his voice echo in his room aka Heath's old room. He had to sit down on the bed.

"I had to tell someone. I felt so bad about everything." Heath croaked.

"As if it was all your fault about Father Keegan." Nick sighed.

"I know. But, OK, this other thing." Heath started to say.

"What other thing?" Nick winced.

"Maria tried to kiss me." Heath told him and Nick couldn't help but wonder how that happened.

"Well, did you?" Nick wanted to know.

"No. Of course not." Heath sounded hurt that Nick would even think such a thing.

"Just resign, why don't you?" Nick suggested a bit harshly.

"No. I can't. I'm not." Heath sounded certain of it.

"What? I thought that was the plan?" Nick squinted hard then. Would they be away from each other forever? What was the point of getting married then?

"I just won't be back for next year. That's all. OK." Heath explained.

"Yeah, and you're probably not even applying in Iowa anywhere, are you?" Nick said a bit peeved at the idea that Heath was going nowhere.

"Look, you know how the cutbacks have been this each year. And now states are making teachers accountable for everything." Heath reminded him.

"Well, you should just do something else." Nick decided.

"That's easy for you to say." Heath fretted.

"Sorry. I didn't mean it. I just want you to come home. Or I'll come out there." Nick told him.

"No, things are going so good for you right now. I want this to work, with the library. And well, if we live in Iowa you can work there still. We'll be close to my parents even if we're a state away. We just have to pace ourselves. that's all." Heath reasoned.

"Yeah, OK. I know." Nick closed his eyes asking for a prayer. He just wanted them to be together soon.

6 comments:

cass and cady said...

I hope they don't get in a disagreement over this.

meg said...

Nick should not be upset with him.

Cait said...

wow..so much happening.

natalie said...

Oh no, I hope that this doesn't ruin everything D:

lily said...

I hope they manage something positive to happen.

Samantha said...

I Love your blog. Great post.
xoxo,
http:/www.onceuponafad.blogspot.com