Sunday, January 24, 2010

on the threshold

Nick hated the smell of hospitals. It was a little strange to have to do this with Heath, but he understood. He wanted to be supportive. It as if, Heath was expected to be here. Even so, Nick couldn't get it out of his head that Andrew had been mean to him. That alone, made Nick not want to be here. He was the bad guy. The enemy. And another thing, he was old.

"Why would you want to be with someone, like that?" He couldn't help but ask later, and he knew Heath didn't want to talk about it. "I'm sorry." Nick hated that he'd ask. "I don't get it. He's...just old."

"Not like he was my great-grandfather." Heath grimaced.

"Old enough to be your dad." This disgusted Nick very much.

"Well, he's was..was very nice to me. He..just was." Heath winced.

"All right." Nick knew he should leave it alone. He didn't want to think about it.

"I hadn't really been in..in a relationship." Heath told him. "Until then. It was all new to me. I mean, all I'd ever gotten from anyone was...someone, wanting to beat the crap out of me and then, well...it was just warped."

"Who did that?" Nick wanted to know. They were on their way to dinner. It was their chance to be alone for awhile. Perhaps they'd get a room. Nick hoped. But he knew Heath was in a sad mood. They probably wouldn't.

"It doesn't matter." Heath looked away.

"It does matter. People have hurt you. And, and I wish I could do something about it." Nick touched his arm then as if they were more than acquaintances meeting for dinner.

"Well, you can't." Heath didn't want to be touched. There was just too much emotion for him to deal with right now.

Nick wasn't sure what to do. This wasn't the way he wanted the weekend to go.

4 comments:

Em said...

I hate the smell of hospitals too. I like how they are talking about this. Gotta read back though!

a degrassi moment said...

Yeah, you do wonder what happened to Heath before he met Andrew. I'm so glad Nick is supportive.

natalie said...

Yeah, hospitals just smell like death :/ I can see why Nick must feel weird weird to think of Andrew and Heath together...

simon n josh said...

Sometimes, it hurts when we find out everything about the one we love.