Tuesday, January 26, 2010

a moment like this

Heath didn't want it to be this way, either. It felt like a riff between them and thats the last thing he wanted.  He got a room. They needed to be alone.

"I missed you so much," Heath said once they got settled. "I don't want you mad at me."

"I'm not. I'm really not." Nick promised.

"What if its always going to be this way?" Heath felt himself melt down. Thinking how terrible it all was. How he was with Andrew. Now this. A room in a motel. "Us. Meetting here and there, and you know, not a place to call our own."

"Don't say that?" Nick winced. "We'll get through this. You'll finish up out there in June and you'll be back. We'll spend the summer together."

"The summer?" That sounded so far away and just the summer. It pained him to think it. "Then what?"

"We'll figure it out when we get there." Nick was serious.

"I should have never-"

"Never what?" Nick winced. "Left Andrew? Of course, you should have."

Heath bit his bottom lip, and he sat down on the bed. He wasn't thinking of Andrew. He was thinking of being alone and teaching. Nick sat next to him and put his hand on his back.

"I hate it out there. I do. I hate it so much." Heath sniffed, wishing he could hold back his emotions, but he couldn't.

"I don't like it anymore than you do." Nick admitted. "I miss you. I'm scared I'll never make any friends at that college. And if I do, do I really want too. I mean, things are changing. They are, even if we don't want them too."

Heath looked at Nick, touching his face. Yes, time was wasting. And here he was being sad and all. They had to find some joy that they were at least together for the moment.

3 comments:

holly said...

That's sort of sad..thinking how it could be like that..one room after another. Hopefully, it won't be. Hopefully, Heath will like teaching too.

natalie said...

That feeling of everything changing around you, out of your control, just makes you feel so helpless! I hope that they will get through it though, and like Heath said, try to make the most out of the time they do have together.

Winnie said...

What a sad and touching moment!