Monday, December 21, 2009

where to start

"Actually, I really didn't have to teach today," Heath said to his mother on his cell as he put his feet up on the bed. He'd been standing most of the day. "I guess I could have waited until January first, but you know, I wanted to be here to let them know I was serious. And I went to mass."

"This mean you'll be home for Christmas?" She asked.

"No. I'm just fine." He smiled not wanting to be sad about this. "I know I promised and I feel bad for not keeping it, but well, you've had plenty of Christmases without me." His stomach growled. He'd been on pins and needles all day and couldn't even think about eating. Now he was starving and all he had was the leftovers from the chicken casserole that Father Keegan had sent over. "Besides, we've had flurries all day, and it might be an ice storm later."

"Worst time of the year." She sighed.

"You aren't mad at me, are you?"

"No." She promised. "You have to get that vehicle paid for, you know."

"I will." He was certain. But it felt the list grew longer of all the things he needed to do. Be the best with show choir. Teach as they commanded and get his car paid off. And then there was Nick.

1 comment:

Ivyoaks said...

good he's ready to work..at least.