Thursday, December 24, 2009

just a chance

Nick couldn't stop himself. He'd planned it. It felt so great to do. Reserve a room out in Kearney which wasn't all that far away from Heath. He had to see him. It was Christmas.

"Just don't hang up on me." He said the first thing to Heath. "Just come, will you."

He was sure Heath would hang up on him. What did Heath want him to do? Forget him completely. He couldn't. This felt like his last chance. He didn't want it to be the end, but the beginning of something.

"I'm here at the Holiday Inn, and I want to be with you," Nick sighed.

"OK." Heath's words were short. "I get it."

"Well, will you come?" Nick pressed his lips tight waiting for an answer.

"I really shouldn't-"

"But you will, won't you?" Nick could only pray he would. "The weather isn't that bad yet. You could, come. Its only a few hours away. Please?"

"All right." Nick thought he heard Heath say, but he hung up. Nick supposed he'd have to wait and see.

He plugged in the little Christmas tree he brought. It lit up in the dark. Nick set at the edge of the bed, holding on to the ring box he'd brought. It wasn't exactly an engagement ring. Just a silver band. There were two of them. Each had 'love' 'faith' and 'peace' inscribed on them. They weren't that expensive and rather ordinary. Yet, they meant so much to him because Heath was really important to him.

Nick closed his eyes, hoping Heath would get here and everything would be fine when they found each other.

8 comments:

Graham I. Haynes said...

This is really touching.

Benazir said...

Thank you for the comment on my blog :)
This is really good writing by the way... I like it

ellie said...

Thanks so much for the note from both of you. I just started this. Wasn't sure if anyone would want to read about them or not.

Thanks.

Benazir said...

Don't worry about it. I'll be reading ;) This is great! I'll follow it to stay on track.

And Hallam Foe is brilliant

the oaks said...

I'm glad Heath said he would. cool.

past the point said...

aw, Nick is so sweet.

Cait said...

I LOVE IT!

natalie said...

That's so sweet of him! :D
Well... happy holidays :)